Tuesday, July 16, 2013

week 9

Assignment 2
So, book trailers... I have seen a few prior to this training (credit to Earlyword for that), and I have to admit, I'm not convinced that book trailers are the way of the future for marketing new titles. Part of this has to do with the constant stream of book-to-movie movie trailers that are already out there. It's confusing to see a book trailer that is just for... a book. Also I agree with the argument from one of the articles that said it's no fun to be told how to envision a fictionalized story. I watched the trailer for the Maze Runner, for example, and it clearly changes one's perception of the book to have a stylized, movie-like set-up in your head before reading (and an aside: of course the Maze Runner is going to be a movie, too!).

I think it's the mixed up formats that don't make sense to me. A visual trailer for a movie- I get it. An audio clip for a podcast or comedy show- golden. A written review for any audio/visual/written art from- I'll take it. But I wouldn't want an audio-only clip for a movie trailer, nor a made-up visual trailer for an audio performance. It's artificial. And since visual cues are strong, they linger, possibly influencing how one reads the book.

Also, the term "bideo" for a book trailer will never catch on, it is just plain silly.


Assignment 3
Appeal factors sticks out as the most useful lesson from BMB. I learned a lot about exactly what they are, how readers respond to them, and their role in effective RA. Well done.

I thought the teen section was useful and important to have, given the boom that teen publishing has seen lately. We should all have a basic familiarity with the biggie teen titles. I see more and more 'grown ups' (if they're not new adults, are they old adults??) perusing our teen shelves all the time.

I liked the fiction genres section, and found the prezi and assignments helpful. The encouragement to examine one's own branch trends throughout was also helpful.

I enjoyed reading the blogs of other BCPLers, when I had the chance. We have some talented writers and hilarious people working here.

I did not like the "post comments to another person's blog" assignments, only because it was time consuming to do so. Finding blogs to which I could post was difficult. With staff at different points in the training, it took time to find someone who was at the point where you could comment.

The mashup genre and fan sites assignment also proved to be time consuming. I would think that most customers who are uber-fans of a particular author or genre are going to find those sites on their own.

Overall, I really enjoyed the bookishness, and feel as though I have become more bookish myself!

1 comment: